Sunday, March 11, 1979

Trip to Torino (3/11/1979)

Sunday, March 11, 1979
I was given use of the Fiat Autobianchi A112 and drove myself to Torino. Missed a turn at Caselle but saw I was headed for Torino Centro... but via the Autostrada. Made a u-turn at the tollbooths. Even before leaving the villa, I forgot most cars here need to be warmed up and stuttered to the gate. The guard reminded me that the car was cold.

Once I was in the city, at a stoplight, a woman standing on the corner gestured and spoke to me, then got in the car! Apparently wanted a ride to Piazza Statuto, where I found a convenient parking place. Started walking through Torino. Found a pedestrian-only street (made so in 1978), Via Giuseppe Garibaldi. Seemed I was drawing a lot of stares, but I may just be paranoid. Saw lots of shoe stores, and newspaper stands, but no postcards.
Via Roma arcades (GJT)
On Via Roma (covered with porticos/arcades), in a park, I walked through a group of men, one of whom stepped in front of me with a "Come vai?" Soon saw a large building that looked like a railroad station, and it was! Porta Nuova.

Stazione Porta Nuova (GJT)
No gates, anyone could walk up to the trains. They have first- and second-class waiting rooms. Lots of newspaper stands and book stores, but only one with postcards. I nearly bought him out, purchasing 35 postcards!

I sat in a park to eat my cheese and bread, but a man sat down, edged closer, and apparently wanted a drink. So I left him but was followed by another fellow who started a conversation. He also wanted me to have a drink with him. I walked towards the River Po and ended up at the piazza of the Carnevale, now a parking lot! A couple police officers looked like they had a roadblock set up with guns drawn. But no one else was around.
Across the Ponte Vittorio Emanuele I,
the Chiesa della Gran Madre di Dio on the left
and the Museo Nazionale della Montagna up on the hill
After crossing back and forth over the Po, I started heading for the car. Twice was stopped by elderly women asking directions or perhaps asking when the next trolley came. At the car I finished my lunch, then started walking in the other direction. Ran into a group of boys singing "O, Susannah" in Italian. They threw noisy kisses at me. No pinches yet! Another woman asked directions or something. Was tired, so decided to go home. Didn't miss a turn.

Also saw boys playing soccer in public parks (in the U.S., no ball playing allowed!), and outside Regio Teatro/Royal Theater I saw scores of well-dressed people, most piling out of nice Fiat buses. And lots of bars with the ever-present crowds of men hanging around.

No comments:

Post a Comment