Friday, March 9, 1979

Road Test and Grosso Canavese (3/6/1979)

Tuesday, March 6, 1979
Yesterday I was driven, but today I drove to and from Nole with Dino in the passenger's seat - a road test! I don't think they thought I was able to drive a manual shift. Once, my foot slipped off the clutch at a traffic light. Then I was commanded to stop where I saw no stop sign. Later I could not find reverse gear! On the way home I missed a turn, but knew it. I guess I passed the test because I've been told I can drive by myself tomorrow!

Thursday, March 8, 1979
Clearest day yet, saw even more snow-covered mountains to the north.
View from the front door of the villa
View from the dining room
View towards the town of Grosso Canavese
Signora B drove me into Grosso Canavese and dropped me off at the post office, but it was closed. On my way home I stopped in a Tabacchi to buy maps. They did not have airmail stamps. On the walk home, I saw a man pulling a cart full of sticks and a woman doing laundry by hand in a cement trough. One of the B drivers stopped and gave me a ride to the villa.

Friday, March 9, 1979
Somehow every little trip has some significance! Walked to Grosso but again the post office was closed. A man stopped his car and apparently was asking for directions. He said something about Regione Pianetto and pointed up the hill. So I shrugged my shoulders with a "si." I hope I was right!

No comments:

Post a Comment