Saturday, July 31, 1982

1982 End of London-Scandinavia Trip (7/28-31/1982)

Wednesday, July 28, 1982
The escalators were turned off at 2:00, then turned back on at 4:40, between which times I was able to sleep. I was playing a word game, finding as many words in both English and German from the letters of “Spezialitäten” when a guard came around checking doors. At 7:00 I checked my bags in a cloakroom, changed my English pounds to Swiss francs, and found Swiss Air where I could check in immediately and get the boarding pass.
Zürich to JFK ticket
Zürich to JFK boarding pass
I checked out some of the shops, and at 9:02 took a train in to Zürich to look for souvenirs, books in English, and chocolates. Took the 10:47 train back to the airport and walked over to Terminal A to the Air-Self Cafeteria for a lunch of a pork schnitzel and fries. I retrieved my bags and spent the rest of my change for a Time magazine. Then I went to change all my Swiss bills into U.S. dollars, and ended up with more Swiss change! Oh, well!
Went through passport control to Gate B36 and saw that everyone was Asian. I checked the board and went to gate B26! We were loaded onto buses at 12:40 and the flight took off at 14:00. Cocktails of tomato juice with smoked almonds, and later a lunch of geschnetzeltes veal in a wonderful sauce, with potatoes and broccoli, and a salad of shrimp, lox, peas and potatoes in mayonnaise, roll and butter, and spice cake for dessert. Hours later a snack and at 16:00 we were approaching New York City. The whole way I could look down on the ocean and saw several white flecks. Some of the flecks had wakes, so they must have been ships.
We had to circle for a half hour before landing, and then had a long wait for a gate. I was able to pick up my bag and backpack and march right down the hall for people with U.S. passports. No officials in sight, so I walked past baggage claim and through customs showing my passport, then out to call my grandmother at 17:00. Took the bus to the subway and paid $5/$5! for the JFK Express into Manhattan.
JFK Express ticket
I got off at Jay Street and transferred to the F-train to 4th Avenue, then changed to the RR-train into Brooklyn. Got off at 77th Street, walked back to 75th Street, then followed that over Third Avenue to visit my Grandma in her new apartment. Cousin Dot was at the vet with the cat, Charlie. He had to be left for observation; possibly has epilepsy.
When Dot came home at 20:30, we went out for dinner at the Royal Restaurant on 5th Avenue. I had a bacon-burger; the meat was so delicious! Plus potato salad, cole slaw, and an old fashioned pickle spear. The bill for three of us came to less than $20!
Took a bath in grey water (from me?).

Thursday, July 29, 1982
I helped with a couple errands this morning, picking up a heavy bundle from the Chinese laundry, and going to the post office and grocery store.
After lunch at 13:00 my grandmother walked me to the subway station to say goodbye. Took the RR and changed at 9th Street, having to walk from the subway to the elevated where half the people had to stop halfway to rest. Took the F-train to Jay Street and had just missed the JFK Express.
JFK Express ticket
Twenty minutes later an HH-train pulled in. I continued to sit and wait, until the driver yelled out that this was the train to the plane. We piddled along and then had to stop and wait for another train to leave the airport station. We pulled past the station to let a local train pull in and out. We shuttled as the driver maneuvered through the track switches before we backed into the station. The passengers hurried to their respective buses; I took the B-loop bus, arriving at the TWA terminal at 15:05 for my 15:15 flight! First I had to purchase my ticket for Buffalo at US Air for $79, then through x-ray, and ran down the long corridor to the gate. The desk agent asked “Buffalo?” and when I said yes, he had to unlock the door to the ramp, and I ran onto the half empty plane.
JFK to Buffalo ticket
We left 10 minutes late, but arrived on time at 16:25. It seemed we never got higher than a Swiss Alp, and I could see farms and rivers and forests.
Once in Buffalo I looked for a telephone in the construction mess of remodeling the airport, and it smelled like airplane glue! A half hour later Terry came with my mother to pick me up.
Back at the house, Kathy and Rod J stopped by! They are now stationed in England and are home on leave to that Rod’s parents could meet the new baby, Angela, who is starting to walk! We visited with Joe C at PizzAmerica, then I drove them to Rod’s parents’ house. Mikayla seemed to remember me and Angela was all smiles.

Friday, July 30, 1982
Organized slides, went to the post office to mail the gold coin to Jan & Kirby insured-return receipt, cashed my income tax checks at the bank, stopped at a travel agency to purchase my return ticket to Switzerland but they couldn’t take my BritRail Pass, and Terry cut my hair.

Saturday, July 31, 1982
Finished packing, tried to get my camera cleaned but it would take 3-4 weeks, went to the issuing travel agency to get the BritRail refund, spent the afternoon with Kathy J, visited Linda S, and that evening the family participated in a chocolate taste test (Swiss milk chocolate won).

No comments:

Post a Comment