Sunday, April 1, 1979

Skiing in Bardonecchia (4/1/1979)

Sunday, April 1, 1979
Found a parking ticket on the car I had driven, apparently for being too close to the corner even though it was a no parking zone, although it was okayed by the Bs to park there. (They paid the ticket.) Wanted to leave early to try skiing on my own, but couldn't find the skis! So I went up the mountain later with the family, buying my own 9,000 lire ticket!
The family had an instructor and I was to go along. But I fell off the plastic-disk ski tow. (You were supposed to put the plastic disk hanging from the tow rope between your legs and let it pull you up the mountain, but somehow I just ended up sitting on the ground on the disk.) So I stayed on the lower portion of the mountain, and managed to "slide" down three times, taking the chairlift back up. I can use the excuses of the skis being too long, or the snow was wet and icy, but I really just April-fooled myself. I don't remember how to ski!
Panorama from Mt Jafferau with the ski lift
Panorama with my ski tips
View of Bardonecchia from the ski lift
Left the skis at the car an hour early so I could photograph Bardonecchia.
Street scene with balconies, shutters, and a billboard
Via Medail
Found the pedestrian passage under the railroad. Was approached by a fellow who spoke French. Somehow managed a conversation. Gave me his address in Morocco, since I have a friend there (Kathy C in the Peace Corps).

Followed Signore B driving home and kept up!

The dogs are now in cages, two at each corner of the property.

Some new foods I've had: beef tongue, rabbit, goose, artichokes, "polenta" (corn meal mush!), and dandelion leaf salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment