Sunday, April 22, 1979

Valle d'Aosta (4/21-22/1979)

Saturday, April 21, 1979
Planned a full two-day trip, but the promised car was not available. After lunch I got the red A127. I wanted to explore Valle d'Aosta, where a lot of wine and cheese is made. Again I took the scenic route, making my way first to Ivrea, and then started up the valley taking pictures of all the castles marked on my Piemonte map. Then made my way to Monte Cervino, better known to us as the Matterhorn. First glimpse got a "Mama mia!" out of me!
Monte Cervino
Distinctive and impressive. Stopped in the city of Cervinia-Breuil to get as close as I could. Skiing didn't look too challenging. Saw an aerial cable car from afar.
Funivia/Aerial cable car near Monte Cervino
Had to use a WC, which was a ceramic hole in the floor. Heard lots of French spoken, even though Switzerland was just on the other side of the Matterhorn. Drove back into the valley, beautiful because warm spring below, yet snow-covered mountains all around.
View of Valle d'Aosta from Chambave
Stopped in Fenis to see a nicely kept-up castle:
Castello di San Pierre
Drove through the busy city of Aosta, and made my way straight to Monte Bianco/Mont Blanc. First view also impressive, but at dusk with a cloud veil. Got headed into the tunnel at Monte Bianco, but u-turned to the town of La Palud where the Monte Bianco Funivie/cableways was located. Planned to stay in a pensione, the first was full and the second said I must also take meals. Went to other hotels where it seems meals were also included. So I returned to the Pensione di Dente del Gigante/Tooth of the Giant. First ate dinner and was seated at a table with a curious young couple. Managed a conversation with them. The waiter asked if he could come to my room! Found out pensione means boarding house. Price was 15,000 lire ($18.75), reasonable since it included meals.

Sunday, April 22, 1979
Awoke early to buy a ticket for the first funivia/cable car, but there was already a long line of skiers! People were buying 40 or 100 tickets for their groups.
View of Aiguille Noire and Monte Bianco
Funivia
I bought a ticket to the last point in Italy, or so I thought, Punta Hellbronner. Also given a number of which car to take. I had time for breakfast.
View at the base of Dente del Gigante
Somehow I didn't understand properly which car to take, but was allowed on. Took three funivie up to Punta Hellbronner where I was greeted by customs officials. Passport was okayed and I was in France! And I thought the chairlift at Bardonecchia was breathtaking! Super up here! Above the clouds with birds flying below.
Dente del Gigante/Tooth of the Giant
Italian Alpine panorama
View down into French side
The sight here is apparently a glacier, but now masked by snow and clouds. Barely got sight of Monte Bianco through the clouds:
Aha!
View of Val Veny and Courmayeur
Monument with a quote about if everyone wanted to lend a hand?
Monte Bianco from the midstation
Friendly customs fellow told me to take the funivia into France, but too expensive. So went down to "common" ground and made my way to Valle d'Aosta for a photo.
"First" view of Monte Bianco
City of Aosta
Then to Monte Paradiso, going up through a grand scale Watkins Glen complete with waterfall.
Val Savaranche
Waterfall
Gran Paradiso National Park
Perhaps Piccolo and Gran Paradiso peaks
Snow at roadside was getting to be higher than the car. Signs warned of avalanches. The road was closed at Pont due to snow. But there were people sunbathing in the hot sun. Turned around and headed for "home."

No comments:

Post a Comment