Monday, June 4, 1979

Fairs and Marmots (6/2-3/1979)

Saturday, June 2, 1979
It was raining today so stayed home to do chores and ended up helping the boys and gardeners with the tennis court. In the evening I went home with Aldo for another Piemontese meal - gnocchi/potato dumplings and beef salami. Afterwards Gianni and I went to Cirie to a fair where we first saw the commercial exposition. Then we bought tickets at sort of an instant raffle getting a handbag, a coupon for coffee, candy and other small items. Then to the rides and games to win a doll and a bottle of wine.
I don't know if they take photos of only the winners...
Met a couple of Gianni's friends and went to a bar for milkshakes. At the P's house, Carlo came to show me mountain photos and to give me Stella Alpina/Alpine Stars (Edelweiss flowers!) and a rose from Pina's garden!
Stella Alpina/Edelweiss
I also had found several four-leaf clovers on the B villa grounds:


Sunday, June 3, 1979
Picked up by Gianni at 8:00 and then to Nole to pick up Aldo, and Pina's hiking boots for me. A bit big. Then drove through the Valle of Vie to just past Usseglio, a beautiful valley with wooded mountains and a stream. Went to the now-closed ski resort and started climbing and climbing! 
Aldo and Gianni
Gianni picking flowers
Had trouble with the heel of the right boot, but ended up with only a blister. The area here is used during the summer to herd cows, but now only had a few hikers. Ate lunch on the summit.
Gianni and Aldo during lunch
We hiked to an area where marmots live. Saw three of them and found the entrances to their homes in the ground. Saw their footprints. Were headed towards higher mountains, but it started hailing. Sought shelter under a large rock. Turned to rain, so we started back. Going down we slid-walked down through the snow that was still present. Aldo had already slid on his rear about 20 feet on the snow. When we reached the hotel (known for being made of all wood) at the bottom, the sun was out again! Had drinks, then explored the tiny village used only in the summers when herding.
Gianni and Aldo on a bridge
I was about to fall down
Met Franco and Maresa on our drive down and stopped for ice cream.

Arrived in Nole where I went with Gianni to his nice apartment (almost next door to his parents' house), then went with him when he voted.  We drove to Villanova to get pizzas and I drove his 126.  After dinner we went to Lanzo to view the “bridge of the devil” and walk through the town on brick paths that wound between, up and down, under and over houses! Met Gianni’s friend, Franco, and had drinks.

Monday, June 4, 1979
Today I worked as the chauffeur, taking the new live-in maid, Bruna, to Settimo so she could vote.  Stopped first at her aunt’s home, then at the school to vote.  Also stopped in Cirie so she could buy cigarettes…

I was even asked to take Elena to Gianni’s (the cousin in Nole), but I happened to be working with Debora at the time.

I had heard there was once a kidnap attempt of the B boys, and that Signora B kept a gun in her purse. I was initially upset that they hadn't warned me of the dangers. But then they let me drive Elena and the boys around town by myself, so certainly there was no real danger...

No comments:

Post a Comment