Sunday, May 20, 1979

A Wedding (5/20/1979)

Friday, May 18, 1979
Walked to the post office and then to Patri's house via the back road to Mathi from Grosso. Patri had just left to collect pay from the B family, according to her father. Patrizia had been let go as the maid at the B's.

Saturday, May 19, 1979
Angelo told me I got the car back. Late in the afternoon I took it to Cirie to do my shoe shopping. Either I was being too careful, or the car has lost all its get up and go, my poor red 127! Found a pair of shoes; such soft leather! Sales lady spotted me as a tourist right away! When I returned, the guard Attilio invited me to lunch at his house in the mountains next Sunday!

Gianni picked me up at 17:30 and took me to Nole. I took some of my mom's homemade chocolate chip cookies and they loved them. Passed the time by looking at pictures of the mountains we would climb, the chamois we would see, etc. Then to Franco's house to have a listen on his CB and I was to give greetings from America. We had a great dinner of polenta and rabbit. Afterwards, Franco, Maresa, Gianni and I went to "2 Rotonde," which had ballroom dancing upstairs and a discotheque downstairs. Franco and Maresa stayed upstairs and Gianni and I went downstairs. Danced a lot even though Gianni has a broken rib! Afterwards went out to eat and drink. Hoo, boy!

Sunday, May 20, 1979
Gianni picked me up at 10:00 and we reconnoitered with Aldo and Pina in Nole, before heading for the house of the bride in Mathi. We were going to the wedding of Aldo's niece. Helped pass around the sweets, and drank champagne. After picture-taking, we went to the church, where folks follow the bride into the church. It was a quick Mass, with a brief exchange of rings. Outside there was the usual throwing of rice:
Anna & Pier Gianni
Then the parade drove to Benne to see the apartment of the new couple. Che bello! Then back to a restaurant in Balangero where we ate and ate and ate! They cut up the tie of the groom to "sell" pieces for money for the honeymoon.
Menu cover
Menu and piece of the groom's tie

Afterwards we drove to just outside Lanzo where I got to fish for trout in a controlled pond. How easy! Then we drove up into the mountains to see the views and take photographs near Corio:
Tamiko
Tamiko and Gianni
Aldo, Mario, Gemma, Tamiko, and Pina
Later Gianni and I drove around and around and talked. Stopped at his apartment to get gasoline and then we went to a discotheque near Leini, "Super Sonic." But there were only a few people. We decided not to go in. I was more tired than I thought, so I went home early.

No comments:

Post a Comment