Tuesday, August 31, 1982

1982 Heading Home (8/29-31/1982)

Sunday, August 29, 1982
After a breakfast of bacon and eggs, and toast, we went to buy some groceries for Kathy’s Grandma. We left about 9:30 on a pleasant sunny day, heading home! We took Interstate 71 out of Louisville up to Cincinnati and Columbus. I took over driving and we bypassed Cleveland on I 271. Once on I 90, we kept an eye out for a large stone church of which Kathy wanted a picture. When we saw it we planned to take the next exit, but there wasn’t an exit, so no photo.
Everyone slowed going into Pennsylvania, since the state troopers were out in force. In New York, we picked up a toll ticket, and everyone was still going 55 mph! But things picked up. After paying the $1.65 toll, we left the Thruway on NY 33 into Buffalo. We arrived at my house at 19:30. We unpacked all my things from her car, and sorted out the Oregon Coast seashells and a few rocks, and I ended up with al the leftover food. In fifteen minutes Kathy was on her way home to Syracuse.
The starting mileage was 30,233 and ended at 42,727 for a nearly 12,500 mile trip. Our itinerary weaves a bit on the map, but manages to cover quite a lot of territory; 26 states and 4 provinces. Maybe we should call it Criss-crossing America!
1982 Crossing America
For me, I could add 23 new states and 4 provinces to my checklist!
I was able to watch many of my slides that had already come back from processing.

Monday, August 30, 1982
I began cataloging the trip slides, paying bills, etc. Our Jasper Chateau bill came to 88 US dollars.
Took Frank downtown to get his working papers, and later picked up Terry. Went to Delaware Camera to buy slide cases and to see about having my camera repaired. Terry is going to take my manual Minolta and it is getting cleaned. They could not estimate repairs on the auto Minolta, so I will leave it with Mommy to have her friends in Suffern see about getting it repaired at Minolta in Ramsey, NJ.
Later I was able to negotiate with Terry to borrow her Fujica while my Minolta was being repaired.

Tuesday, August 31, 1982
Finished cataloging the slides. Went shopping for a black traveling bag, but couldn’t find what I wanted at Eastern Hills Mall, Boulevard Mall, or Northtown Plaza! I looked into buying a pocket-size 35mm camera, but was not thrilled by them.
The cross country trip is officially over; soon back to work (in Switzerland!)

No comments:

Post a Comment